Get That Movie Theater Experience At Home With These Mini Projectors, Starting At P2,999
Can’t go to the cinema? Let the cinema come to you.
With cinemas and many other establishments temporarily closed, families who loved to go out on movie theater dates pre-pandemic are certainly longing for one now. Though watching movies at home has been made possible through streaming sites like Netflix, Viu, and Amazon Prime, it’s nowhere near the multi-sensory experience one gets from watching inside a cinema.
That said, there’s no harm in trying to recreate the theater ambience in your home – and you won’t even need to own a 70-inch TV set to do that. Get the same effect with a portable projector against a big, blank wall.
The 5 types of projectors
Projectors used to be categorized into three types: CRT (Cathode Ray Tube), LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) and DLP (Digital Light Processing).
“In the early days of projectors, CRT projectors were commonly used. [But] Due to their large size, low light output and the frequent need to converge and align images projected from each of the three tubes, they are no longer commonly used,” explains Kevin Leeper of itstillworks.com.
Nowadays, projectors are classified into five types: DLP, LCD, LED (Light-emitting Diode), LCoS (Liquid Crystal Technology on Silicon), and laser. According to Alix Diaconis of theverge.com, DLP and LCD types are common for home projectors since they are more affordable than the laser ones.
“DLPs tend to be smaller and more portable, and they offer more contrast and blacker blacks. LCDs tend to have a sharper, crisper image and appear brighter than DLPs even at a lower lumen count,” he differentiates.
Things to consider in a portable projector
- Portability. Since you are looking for a “mini” projector, you have to make sure it fits your ideal small size, without sacrificing the image quality.
- Ports and speaker. Portable projectors have smaller room for multiple ports. However, there are still a few that let you connect to computers, game consoles, phones, and tablets. Others even have built-in speakers too!
- Room lighting. Is your room well-lit? Newer models of projectors have the capability to reject ambient light so that the projected picture still produces clear images even in a fully lighted room. If you plan to use it mostly at night, then brightness won’t really be a consideration. As explained by benq.com, when it comes to brightness, DLP projectors are highly reflective while LCDs are only 4 to 6 percent lower when it comes to light transmittance.
- Resolution. Naturally, the higher the resolution, the more expensive the projector. For home viewing purposes, however, the lowest suggested resolution is 800 x 480 pixels.
- Distance. The size of the projected image depends on the distance of the projector to the wall or screen. The size of your space considered, choose something that can project the largest possible image and your viewing comfort.
Projector buying guide
Investing on a portable projector for use in your home is a good decision, since it will come in handy not only for movie nights but also during family Zoom calls – why strain your eyes with your small phone screen when you can see your loved ones larger than life? If you’re worried about the hefty price attached to portable projectors, don’t be. Here’s a quick buying guide to help you pick the best portable projector on a budget.
1. Unic UC68
Unic UC68 might be the cheapest on this list, but its resolution of 800 x 480 pixels won’t disappoint for purposes of movie viewing at home. Its display ranges from 34 to 120 inches, but the unit is still small enough (201mm x 151mm x 74.5mm) to be portable. It comes with multiple ports like HDMI, VGA, USB, earphone jack and SD card, and has built-in speakers too!
Available for Php 2,999 on Lazada.
2. Ipason H1 Mini Projector
The Ipason H1 Mini Projector (188mm x 163mm x 187mm) offers amazing home entertainment as it offers a built-in Bluetooth speaker, a resolution of 800 to 480 pixels and a projection size of 32 to 176 inches. In case you’re not sold yet, it is supported by AI voice control too.
Available for Php 4,469 on Lazada.
3. Mirval Y7
The Mirval Y7 is one of the most affordable high-quality portable projectors you can get your hands on, according to reviews. It offers a wide projection size of 50 to 130 inches and a resolution of 1280 x 720 pixels. Surprisingly, with its 20.1cm x 14cm x 7cm size, it has several ports like USB, HDMI, VGA, AV in and out, TF card, and even operation buttons and built-in speakers too.
Available for Php 4,409.10 on Lazada.
4. BlitzWolf BW-VP11
The BlitzWolf BW-VP11 is one powerful mini projector -- aside from having multiples ports, it also connects wirelessly through casting. Despite its small size of 250mm x 171mm x 79mm, it can project images up to 170 inches with a resolution of 1280 x 720 pixels. This is surely worth the price, as it offers versatility and good sound quality.
Available for Php 5,199 on Lazada.
5. LHR RD-817
If you are looking for a professional-grade mini projector at a low price, this might be the one for you. The LHR RD-817 (305mm x 235mm x 107mm) can project images from 45 to 200 inches with a resolution of 1280 x 800 pixels and features high quality built-in speakers with enhanced bass.
Available for Php 6,829 on Lazada.