Kathryn Bernardo Will Convince You To Get Your Ears Pierced
Look out for the do’s and don’ts of aftercare!
Anywhere on social media, you’ll see why getting your ears pierced is the cool new thing influencers and celebrities are obsessing about. In fact, award-winning actress Kathryn Bernardo has her fair share of ear candy. It’s trendy, fun, and is a form of self-expression.
Kathryn made ear piercing popular again when she got her first set in 2018, after her look test for the “Three Words to Forever” movie.
“Doon na nag-start ‘yon. I decided to add piercing every parang achievement ko or may big milestone sa life ko, but siyempre hindi ‘yon natuloy. Every time na lang na gusto ko and then pinayagan ako, doon ako nagpapa-add,” Kathryn shares on her vlog.
In 2019, Kathryn, along with actress Ria Atayde and writer Juan Miguel Severo, commemorated the success of their 2018 movie “The Hows of Us” by getting friendship piercings together. Later in the year, Kathryn posted an IG photo with the caption: “Another piercing, another answered prayer.”
If the Phenomenal Box Office Queen managed to convince you to get your first (or another) piercing, here’s how you can do it while following the rules and protocols under the new normal:
Safety protocols under the “New Normal”
29-year-old Nikka, a body piercer for more than 5 years now, can only accommodate 50% of her usual number of clients.
“Operating after the lockdown was a challenge to us because we had to make a lot of adjustments. Since piercing is health related, safety protocols are not foreign to us. Disinfecting of the studio was done every 30 minutes,” she says. “Our piercers are required to wear PPEs, mask and face shield all the time.”
Clients can only bring one companion, and both of them are required to sanitize their hands before entering the studio. “Wearing of shoes is not allowed inside our studio. Wearing of face mask is required to be worn all the time while [the] face shield can be taken off during the session. Hair must be tied up before entering. We want to make the session fast and efficient so orientation for the clients are done online.”
Cashless payments are also encouraged to ensure the safety of both clients and artists. Take note that most studios don’t entertain walk-ins during this time, so schedule ahead and book an appointment!
What can a first-time client expect at their first piercing appointment?
According to 26-year-old Lin, a body piercer of two years, a well-ventilated studio with sterilized tools and jewelry should be present.
“Before the procedure, the piercer will check first whether the piercing [the client] wants fits their anatomy. For the actual procedure, expect that it should be very fast. Just a big deep breath in, then exhale, and the piercing is done with some popping of the jewelry.”
If you’re worried about the pain, Lin says pain tolerance varies per person. “The piercer should be able to walk the client through the right aftercare procedure. They shouldn't let any client leave without any knowledge on what can happen to their piercings during the healing procedure,” Lin adds.
What are the do’s and don’ts of piercing aftercare?
Lin emphasizes these important reminders so you can properly take care of your piercings.
- Wash your hands prior to touching the piercing. Leave it alone except when cleaning. During healing, it is not necessary to rotate your jewelry.
- Exercise can be done during the healing period, but listen to your body.
- Make sure your bedding is washed and changed regularly. Wear clean, comfortable, and breathable clothing that protects your piercing while you are sleeping.
- Showers tend to be safer than taking baths, as bathtubs can harbor bacteria. If you bathe in a tub, clean it well before each use and rinse off your piercing when you get out.
- Avoid cleaning with alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, antibacterial soaps, iodine, or any harsh products, as these can damage cells. Avoid ointments as well, as they prevent necessary air circulation.
- Avoid over-cleaning. This can delay your healing and irritate your piercing.
- Avoid undue trauma such as friction from clothing, excessive motion, playing with the jewelry, and vigorous cleaning. These activities can cause the formation of uncomfortable scar tissue, migration, prolonged healing, and other complications.
- Avoid stress and excessive caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol.
- Avoid submerging the piercing in unhygienic bodies of water such as lakes, pools, hot tubs, etc.
- Avoid all beauty and personal care products around the piercing including cosmetics, lotions, and sprays, and the like.
- Sleeping directly on a healing cartilage piercing can cause irritation, and even cause shifts in the piercing's angle. Place a travel pillow on top of your pillow, and then use the cove to allow your ear some room to avoid this.
Where can I get my ears pierced?
You may reach Lin and Nikka by booking an appointment at their respective studios!
- Babygirl Piercings
Follow them on Instagram.
- Happy Needle Piercing
Follow them on Instagram.