Try These Viral TikTok Recipes If You Have No Idea What To Cook
Are they really worth the hype? See for yourself!
During quarantine, Tiktok has waltzed its way into our daily lives as people looked for ways to keep their minds off COVID-related news. Although known for content like catchy tunes and viral dance steps, Tiktok has also made popular several makeup and food trends too, as it continues to grow as a platform that influences the general public.
Though it may be the last place you’ll go to for recipes, Tiktok houses hundreds of food videos that have gone viral, including Baked Feta Pasta which you’ve probably seen at least once on your social media feed. You might be wondering, what is the hype about? You have to make the recipes and see for yourself!
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
The original video posted by Hana Yang, a college student who is known for her food recipes and “a day in my life” videos, has garnered almost 2 million Likes on Tiktok and shared more than a hundred thousand times.
Total prep time: 1 hour and 5 minutes
- 4 tbsp of butter
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 stalks of sliced celery
- ¼ cup of all-purpose flour
- 3 cups of chicken broth
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of ground pepper
- 1 large head broccoli, chopped
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 3 cups of shredded cheddar
- Melt butter in a pot over medium heat, then add onion and celery to cook for around 5 minutes.
- Pour flour and cook for a minute, then slowly add the chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix the broccoli and carrots in the pot and bring to a boil. After 2 minutes, reduce the heat to low, and let the vegetables simmer until they are tender.
- Pour the whole milk and let it simmer.
- Time to add the best ingredient, cheddar! Slowly mix the cheddar cheese into the pot, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- You’re done! Transfer your soup into a small bowl and serve with a slice of baguette.
Baked Feta Pasta
Tiktok user Cooking With Ayeh is a home cook who focuses on plant-based food. According to her Instagram, she loves giving usual recipes a “healthy twist” while keeping them simple and tasty still. This specific recipe has 1.3 million Likes and has more than 300,000 shares!
Total prep time: 40 minutes
- 2 ½ cups of cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup of drained feta cheese
- 1 1/5 cup of mezzi rigatoni pasta
- 1 clove of garlic, grated
- ½ tsp of crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup of fresh basil leaves, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 205°C.
- In a medium bowl, toss the cherry tomatoes and sprinkle them with olive oil and ¼ teaspoon of salt and pepper.
- Transfer the cherry tomatoes to a baking dish and place the feta in the center. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the feta has softened.
- Increase the temperature to 250 degrees Celsius and continue to bake until the tomatoes and feta are golden brown.
- Boil a large pot of water sprinkled with salt over high heat. Add the pasta and cook for about 15 minutes.
- It’s time to get the tomatoes and feta out of the oven! Add garlic and red pepper flakes, then mash the cherry tomatoes for a creamy texture.
- Add the pasta and basil, then mix them together until they are evenly coated. Adjust the seasoning to your taste.
Mini Pancake Cereal
The original recipe was posted by Sydney Melhoff, who has a penchant for cooking miniature versions of popular desserts. However, the recipe only went viral when it was recreated by Tiktok user @istayfunny19 when it gained more than a million Likes and 70,000 shares.
Total prep time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp of granulated sugar or sweetener
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- ½ tsp of salt
- ¾ cup of milk
- 2 tbsp of melted butter
- 1 tsp of pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar or sweetener, salt, and baking powder. In a separate bowl, add the milk, melted butter, vanilla, and egg.
- Whisk the wet ingredients thoroughly, then slowly add in the dry ingredients.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat, and put 1 tsp of butter to grease it.
- Pour the pancake batter into a squeezable condiment bottle. You can also use a resealable bag with one corner cut to make a tiny hole to make a DIY icing pipe.
- Once the pan is hot, squeeze small dots of the pancake batter and cook until they form bubbles on top.
- Flip the mini pancakes and cook until they are golden on the sides, about 2 minutes per side. Repeat until you finish your batter, but make sure to grease your pan in between!
- Serve the mini pancakes with maple syrup, honey, or even berries for extra flavor!
5-Ingredient Flourless Cookies
There are a lot of baked goods recipes on the @foodies Tiktok profile, but the 5-Ingredient Flourless Cookies is the one that went viral. It has garnered more than 6 million Likes and 600,000 shares so far!
Total prep time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup of peanut butter
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- ½ cup of chocolate chips
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, and whisk until you form a gooey dough texture.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal parts, and line them into a baking tray.
- Preheat the oven at 180°C for 3-5 minutes.
- Put the baking tray inside the oven and bake for about 8-10 minutes.
- Take out the baking tray from the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes.
With over 6 million followers on Tiktok, Newt, a.k.a. “Milkt Papi”, creates videos that will make you want to spend a whole day in the kitchen. Not only does he share food reviews on the platform, he shares his homemade recipes too! Newt’s Fluffy / Souffle Pancakes recipe gained 4.5 million Likes and was shared almost 400,000 times!
Total prep time: 30 minutes
- 4 large eggs
- 6 tbsp of granulated sugar
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 6 tbsp of cake flour
- ¼ cup milk, chilled
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tbsp of unsalted butter
- Maple syrup for serving
- Separate egg whites from the egg yolks. Place the egg whites in a medium bowl, and keep the egg yolks are in a large bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, vanilla extract, and baking powder to the egg yolks and whisk until blended.
- Add flour and milk and whisk until the texture is smooth.
- Add lemon juice and salt to the egg whites, and whisk until your reach a foamy texture. Continue to whip while gradually sprinkling the remaining 5 tablespoons of granulated sugar.
- Put a nonstick skillet on low heat. Scoop 1/3 of the egg white (meringue) into the egg yolk mixture and gently fold them until they are almost combined.
- Grease the warm skillet with butter. Scoop about 1/2 cup of batter into the pan and place the lid on top of it and cook pancakes on low heat.
- After 3 to 4 minutes, remove the lid and carefully slide a flat spatula underneath each pancake then gently flip pancakes.
- Place the lid again and cook for three minutes.
- Transfer cooked pancakes to a platter and serve with maple syrup and confectioners’ sugar. You can also put some berries on top if you want!